Saturday, October 2, 2010

Where Have You Been, October?

Family & Friends,

I am so happy to report that the romance of Autumn is in the English air!  I anticipate the beauty this change of season brings with it more than any other -- the deep and vibrant colors, the way the bits of nature fall away and dance in the wind.  Now if only it could stay this way forever.  Alas, I am glad that it came at all... I was quite concerned when I heard reports of bonfire-flannel weather and picturesque changes outdoors in the states that perhaps this part of Europe would jump straight into winter.  I must admit, the weather is just as up and down here as it is in Indiana... when they report rain, it's sunny, and vice versa.  Today, however, the gloomy skies did not stop a group of us university students from enjoying our journey to the town of Dover!

After a restless night of sleep - the flatmates were in and out until about five this morning - I made it up in time to leave campus at 9:30 with a group of other students on the bus to Canterbury.  From there, we caught the next bus to Dover, a port town that we'll likely travel to again soon, in order to get to France!  The only thing separating the two is the English Channel... and it's a rather quick and affordable journey.

I must digress, though, because our purpose of today's trip was to explore the white cliffs.  I've been so fortunate to have already witnessed the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico several times in my twenty-two years, but have looked forward to visiting the seaside in Europe because of the entirely different landscape.

The bus ride there went quickly, many of us were obsessed with the green, rolling hills dotted with English sheep.  I specify them as English sheep because when I really thought about it, I live in a place where sheep, cows, horses, and an abundant amount of other farm animals are within walking distance to take pictures of in any possible direction I choose to go, but considering the fact that they are English sheep in the English countryside made us feel a little less ridiculous when snapping photo after photo of them.

When we arrived in Dover, the first thing we saw was the beautiful castle sitting on top of the hillside which overlooks the English Channel.  Because we're now living the lives of truly struggling college students, which always seems fun in books and movies, we're getting smarter about saving our money, and skipped out on the twelve pound charge to see the castle, but if, say, we were to have taken a hot air balloon or an airplane overhead and snapped a shot, this is what it would have looked like:


After getting our own boring photographs of the castle, we proceeded to walk down a long, winding road (there was no footpath for a very, very long time) where cars were speeding past at incredible speeds.  It seemed quite dangerous, namely because I continue to forget that English folk drive on the opposite side of the road and dodged out of the way when I didn't have to and forgot to when I should have.  I was positive that by the end of the day my foot was going to be run over - or worse!  I was lucky, though, and survive to exaggerate the tale.

On the way, we saw more rolling hills, with more sheep, lots of forest, lots of signs, and even more forest. 



I was beginning to wonder if we'd ever see the water or the cliffs!  Finally, we rounded a corner and there it was.  It was, without question, the most different view I've had of such a large amount of water.  The skies were cloudy and a thick fog hung above channel so that the ships in the distance looked ghostly and wonderful... I only wish I had been able to capture it.  The sky and water tended, in certain places, to blend together.  We continued on and began to see the rocky layers bit by bit until we came upon a big cliff that hung over the water, like something out of an English movie or book (we kept comparing it to how we pictured certain scenes in old British literature.)  It was breathtaking and I hope to visit many more seaside towns here... these are the kinds of places I have longed to see!




A part of the group continued the "trail" along the cliff in search of a beach at the end, while a few of us decided that waddling cautiously through and around mud puddles could only be entertaining for so long.  It was at this point we decided to head back to town on foot, not having any clue how to get there, which was a journey in itself!  I've certainly gotten my fill of walking while in England, but today was another story!  I have to occasionally check and be sure my legs are still attached.  They are.

It was on the walk into town that I noticed the beginnings of Fall, and couldn't resist capturing each bit of it I saw, though this caused me to pause every few seconds and lag a bit behind...




Once we made it into town, it began to sprinkle a bit, and we decided it was time to seek shelter... and food!  We noticed a good portion of the signs in town were in French, and then it dawned on us that it was because we were less than 25 miles from France!  So, I find it fitting that we chose a little cafe with a covered outdoor seating area called "C'est la Vie."  I ordered a panini with a side of chips (french fries) because, as ashamed as I am of it, I have been craving fatty, fried, greasy, American food.  It has been rather difficult to find this sort of grub because everything here tends to be baked and made a bit healthier than it would be in the states.  I think this is wonderful, of course, until I feel the urge to break the newly-healthy way of life.  (Which is exactly what Leigh Anne and I were on a mission to do Thursday night, but in short, ended up getting spaghetti with mint and salmon?  Not even close!)

We began the short walk to the bus station after lunch and were immediately thrown into fits of confusion and laughter as a random street parade caused all of the traffic to pull over and people to watch and wave for less than a minute.  We have no idea why it occurred, but were glad to have been there while it happened.

Upon our return to campus, we debated whether or not to partake in a pub crawl this evening... (the English equivalent to bar hopping, I suppose.)  However, we were thoroughly exhausted and I instead warmed up with a bit of hot chocolate and an episode of Dexter before deciding that I should probably blog about my first big, spontaneous adventure and read a bit of poetry for class this week (it is "homework" like this that reminds me why I love my major!)

You can see the entire trip to Dover photo album by clicking here.

And I almost forgot, I have a general Canterbury album as well! Just click here.

I hope everyone is having a spectacular start to their October... why not do something to make the first weekend memorable?

xo,
Aly

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are getting along with your apartment..err...flat mates. ;)
    Those pictures are stunning, I'm not sure what's prettier than the UK coast! I love your autumn photos especially the one of the leaves and the stone wall. I love how your photos always capture the little things that make England "so English."

    You're so good at writing blogs, when reading I feel like I'm there! I look forward to hearing about your trip to France and in the more distance future making a gooseberry pie with you.

    P.S You look gorgeous in that last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came here because a picture of that lovely castle came up in the google images. Would you mind if I put a picture of that castle on my blog? I'll totally give you credit for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Actually, I Googled that image myself, so no credit is due :) It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete