Monday, November 8, 2010

November & Senioritis: We Meet Again

Readers,

[Insert looooong sigh of relief here.]  Unfortunately, this post will likely be one of my least interesting thus far.  For the last week, I've been cooped up in my room without proper amounts of human interaction and exposure to sunlight in a miserable attempt to write the first of my last few papers as an undergraduate student.

One would think that as an English major, I'd be able to fly through papers like it's nobody's business - and with many, I can.  Aside from the fact that I haven't written a paper since May, this paper falls into the social sciences and while I've done a few before, I've never done one UK style - not to mention, it's an upper level course!  The professor has been quite vague, both in class and in her assignment sheet about what it is she expects from the essay, and when a student asks for clarification, the expectations ironically become even more fuzzy.

The essay is due tomorrow by 4 p.m. so I was quite impressed that I had finished a draft last Thursday, after days of reading books and articles, analyzing, brainstorming, drafting and pulling my hair out, and was very pleased with the outcome.  I made an appointment with the learning center on campus to review it today before handing it in tomorrow, just to make sure I was on the right track.  I decided to come up with a list of questions for today's appointment yesterday afternoon, and when I re-read the essay question, "Critically assess gender as an explanation of social inequality," it dawned on me that I had not done one bit of critical assessing!  Over 3,000 words and excellent sources, but no answer!  Oh, how I miss working in the Writing Center and being surrounded by essays that keep me focused!
I rushed back to my room in a state of panic, scolded myself and glared at the stack of books, the worthless essay, and my laptop's blinking cursor on the empty white page... my enemies of the week greeted me again, and started from scratch.  Around two in the morning, I went from zero words back up to over 3,000 and begged my tired fingers to stop typing nonsense and just relay what was in my head.  I wrapped it up and after some editing and the learning center appointment today, I can thankfully say that I've saved the final draft and will hand it in tomorrow.  I wish I could say I have never let an essay take over my life before and that I'll never let it happen again, but during the school year it usually happens on a monthly basis.  The reason I'm so concerned about this one is because A.) It is my first essay in a different educational system & I've no idea how it will be graded, B.) It's worth 50% of my final grade, and C.) I have a thing for worrying.

Anyway... that's behind me and now onto 3,000 words comparing poems - tone, idiom, metaphors, and the like will keep me company this week... joy!  Senioritis is certainly creeping in and with so many amazing places to see and things to do so close by, it's even more of a struggle!  But I'm confident that I can handle this and get things done while still having fun.

So, let's rewind to before the essay crisis of November 7th.  Last Saturday, still catching my breath from our trip to London, I made the effort to scrounge up a few leftover coins and go into town to purchase a Halloween costume for a house party in the evening.  I found a witch's hat, some red lipgloss, and red fishnet tights all for under three pounds and - voila! - I was a witch.
The party was originally going to be hosted by a group of Spanish students, but the common room they had reserved in Parkwood was locked and the group kind of split up into the Spanish, who went off to another house, and the rest of us, a mix of American, French, British, and others.  We sat around and drank for awhile, then various people took turns on an acoustic guitar and we all sang Bob Marley and Rolling Stones tunes for a bit.  After awhile, a portion of the people who had purchased advance tickets to the university's dance club Vampire Ball left and the rest of us decided to jump on our 2 a.m. pizza craving.  As soon as the pizza arrived, a massive amount of people crowded into the kitchen -- The Venue had turned away everyone who showed up after 1 a.m., even with pre-purchased tickets!  I was quite sleepy but managed to nearly finish an entire large pizza by myself and attempt to engage in conversation until I just couldn't process anymore before calling it a night.
The rest of the week, seriously, was spent working on the essay we shall no longer speak of.  Aside from that, I occasionally found the time to ponder what on earth I'm going to do once I have my degree in June.  I thought that after four years of school focused in a specific area, my career choices would be narrowed... but now I feel like I have so many more options to weigh!  This is both brilliant and horrible, especially since I'm the most indecisive person I know.  I'm strongly considering teaching English abroad for a year, but graduate school and a year or two in journalism are equally appealing.  I know it's very last minute to be considering grad-school, but a few of the places I am interested in have rather late application deadlines and I could probably make it work if I start now.  Mom, how do you feel about Boulder, Colorado?

Friday was the 5th of November.  According to Facebook statuses that day, a large majority of my friends know the rhyme "Remember, remember the fifth of November," likely from V for Vendetta?  I felt so lucky that I was able to celebrate the holiday that this originated from, where it originated from: Guy Fawkes Night or "Bonfire Night."  Basically, on November 5, 1605 a group of thirteen men wanted to overthrow the King and a guy named Guy Fawkes was one of them.  They planned to do this by blowing up the Houses of Parliament in London, but Guy Fawkes was caught with loads of gunpowder underneath the building before they could carry out the plan.  The English celebrate, in a kind of Fourth of July style, by burning a "guy" (scarecrow) on a huge bonfire and lighting off fireworks in a carnival-type setting all across the country.
The fireworks display was actually bigger and better than any I've seen in the states (that's likely due to the fact that I'm from Indiana) and it was a totally different kind of experience.  So glad I was here for it!

Yesterday, Leigh Anne and I met up to start off our health-kick together (and yes, to avoid our essays.)  As she exclaimed, "I've resorted to exercising to put off this paper!" Equally true for me.  We planned to high-speed walk around the campus and a bit of town, but Mother Nature told us that we had to stop avoiding our inevitable schoolwork by first spitting rain, and when we didn't get the hint, pouring it down.  By the way, she's apparently still telling us not to go outside until it's all done - it has been raining off and on since yesterday morning!  At least when it stops for awhile it makes for some beautiful scenery:
I was quickly reminded that running never has been and never will be my sport as I was only able to jog a couple of short lengths back to my flat without wanting to collapse.  After changing into dry clothes, we went on a quest for a place to eat lunch on campus, which also failed because everyplace was closed.  We took this as another sign and ended up in the library, where this whole blog began.

The mention of the word "blog" reminds me of one last thing from this week - a member of staff from the university's International Office is starting a student blog page on the university's website where international students journal about their time in Canterbury... I sent him a sample of my work and after meeting up with him, he asked if I'd be interested in blogging for volunteer credits.  Of course I accepted!  I'll share the link when the site is up and running.

Also, it's hard to believe November is already upon us, but it is. And that means a new photo album.  Click here to see what Canterbury is like at this time of year!

I hope everyone is well and stress-free... if not, take an hour or two break.  You deserve it.

All for now,
Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment