Saturday, September 18, 2010

Goodbye For Now, America

This is it!  After a week of on-again, off-again packing, rearranging, pacing, and staring at my suitcases, I am ready to go.  I spent the majority of my time thinking about what else I needed, when in reality, I know I have far too much.  When you have a room full of things, two suitcases worth of clothing and necessities doesn't seem like enough.  I hope that this experience helps me to learn to live with only what I really need more so than I do now.  In any case, I have my fingers crossed that I make the weight requirements.  I was not too concerned until I found myself sitting on top of one of my bags in order to get it zipped... something I thought happened only in the movies.

I'm so excited that the day is finally here, but have to admit, it's been very bittersweet.  Since last night, I have kept thinking of each action as my last in the states... the "last" time driving my car, the "last" time in my room, the "last" breakfast.  I know I'll be back, but these things I have known for years and have never really left for long.  It makes me wonder what I'm going to miss the most while in Europe, and in turn, what I'll miss from England when I come back to America in the Spring.

Mom, Dad, and Zen are on their way to Fort Wayne (I stayed here last night) and Demetri is going to drive us to Chicago.  My flight leaves around 8 p.m. and I should land in London around 8:30 a.m.  I can't believe I am going to be there so soon!  I feel like I have been waiting for ages.  I am hoping not to make too much of a scene at the airport - I think that saying my goodbyes is going to be the hardest part of this entire journey!

That's all for now, I'll write as soon as I can upon arriving in Canterbury!

Until then...
Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment