Sunday, September 26, 2010

Wrapping Up Week One

So, how is the weather where you are?  Over the last couple of days I've gotten to experience my first English rains...
  Thursday night, I ended up going to Woody's Bar with Leigh Anne and met a few other Americans while I enjoyed some American style food.  Yes, another veggie burger and curly fries.  Although not to worry, their menu was full of neat options for vegetarians... even a vegetarian bangers and mash, which I'll have to try!  After hanging out and watching a bit of karaoke, much of the group left and went to the Venue, a popular club on campus for students who aren't as concerned with money.  Pinching our pennies, Leigh Anne and I decided to take a walk around campus instead and ended up stopping by a house where about 15 people were chatting, eating, and drinking outside the back door with their kitchen tables outside!  They were as friendly as they looked and invited us to hang out with them, which we did for the next couple of hours.  It was a fairly early night, as I came home afterward and slept one of the best sleeps I've had thus far!

Friday I ran over to campus a bit later than I planned and once again missed my opportunity to open up a bank account.  However, I've heard from various other people that Barcalay's bank is just as good as NatWest, and so I'm setting up an appointment to meet with someone there tomorrow.  A bit later, I met up with Leigh Anne and we ran to town for a few things.  Unfortunately, I can't recall much of what we did, which is exactly what I said would happen as we were boarding the bus home.  It was in town that we experienced our first rains in the UK... quite a light rain but unbelievably windy and chilly!

Friday night we hung out with the group we met on Thursday and they certainly kept us entertained.  It seems to me that students here are so much more inviting and laid back than in the states.  It's difficult to find a person who's not accepting of another and all of the "stereotypes" kind of mesh together creating all kinds of fun.  I'm especially impressed with British girls, or at least the ones we've met.  I typically make friends easier with guys because it keeps the drama at bay, but here everyone is just interested in having a good time, and making sure everyone else does, too.  We stayed up rather late, I made it back to my bed around 4:30 a.m. and slept like a rock!

Yesterday, I slept in until noon and was in a panic that I had wasted my day, but met up, once again with Leigh Anne and her sister (who is studying in Spain but visited for the day) and we made our way to the Canterbury Food & Wine Festival.  It was held on the town's main garden grounds and reminded me so much of the Pioneer Festival at home, but instead of people dressed as pioneers and Native Americans, we saw lots of medieval attire.  We tried a few truffles and watched a band play before discovering the entrance onto the town's old fort wall.  We walked along the wall for a bit, and up onto a high hill where a monument sits overlooking the city.


 Last night I did not do much aside from figuring out my official schedule for courses.  I really felt the need to talk to Demetri as I haven't gotten to very often - and the weather reminded me of the kind best meant to cuddle up with popcorn, a blanket, movies, and him.  I was so happy to hear his voice and he made me feel much better before I went to bed.

This morning I woke up early and finally had a decent breakfast.  Then, I made my way to a bus stop all the way across campus for a visit to Leeds Castle, the wrap up to Welcome Week!  I was a bit nervous as none of the people I've really hung out with were going on the trip, but sat next to Rebecca, a friendly face who immediately became someone I can't wait to hang out with again.  We spent the bus ride making comparisons between England and our homes (she's from Canada) and discussing all sorts of other things.  I absolutely love meeting people so nice and interesting that they can easily become friends :)

Leeds Castle was amazing, to say the least.  It was a bit of a walk to actually get to the castle, which is surrounded by lots of greenery, water, and wildlife.  We entered the castle through a wine cellar and made our way to the top and back down... all of it was so well set up and preserved!  The views from the windows are nearly as stunning as actually being outside.



 After our tour of the castle, we found a place to eat lunch, which was delicious!  We had our meal in a restaurant that we believe was, at one time, a stable.  It was a buffet style and they had a vegetarian line!

 Following lunch, we decided to see if we could figure out the maze on the castle grounds!  It's in the middle of beautiful gardens and once you finish it, you exit through a grotto (an underground cave of sorts) which was equally neat!

 The rain came just as we were finishing our trip and we were thankful the buses were a bit early... now I'm back on campus and sharing it all with you.  I've posted a few pictures here, but they are also available through Facebook:

Click here if you'd like to see Leeds Castle!

My only other comments today are:  I have a new-found respect for U.S. currency because it allows you to carry less weight in your pocket (the highest bill here is a 5, the rest are coins... and I've accumulated a LOT.)  When you say "thank you," here, others usually respond "it's okay" instead of "you're welcome."  They also use the phrase "are you okay?" instead of "how are you?"  It's taken me awhile to get used to that, but I find myself doing it on occasion now.  Thirdly, England does not sell Hershey products (Cadbury instead), therefore, if anyone feels the urge to mail me my beloved Reese Cups, my mom has my address :)

I hope you're all having a relaxing Sunday.

Cheers,
Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment